To aid Hillcrest Teachers in navigating the chaos of the first week of remote learning and answer common questions a guide has been created.
Schoology will play the most important role this year as it will be the central hub where students will access core UDIPP approved applications, coursework, and communication from their teacher. While other communication applications like ClassDojo and SeeSaw can be used Schoology is the recommended platform for students.
- Some of the Applications that are now connected to Schoology (Find other applications on https://achieve.lausd.net/LMSAppCenter)
- Amplify Reading
- Reading Horizon
- Rosetta Stone
- Smart Music
- Students, Staff, and Parents can access how-to videos on accessing many of these applications at https://achieve.lausd.net/LMSAppCenter
Grades K - 2nd
Kinder through 2nd Grade students will visit lms.lausd.net and click the "Student QR code" option to login into their Schoology account.
- These students can login using a QR code, provided by their teacher or using their SSO account email and password, while a bit more challenging it is totally possible.
- A guide on generating QR codes for a student or your class can be found at hillcrestdrive.org/teachers/schoology-qr
Grades 3rd - 5th
3rd through 5th Grade students will visit lms.lausd.net and click the "Students" option to login into their Schoology account.
- These students can login using their SSO account email and password.
- A new LAUSD password requirement requires you to not use old passwords that have already been used and requires you to make your password harder to guess.
- At the beginning of the school year student passwords will be reset using a generic scheme that can be changed by the teacher later. This will be sent to the teacher via email at the beginning of the school year. Please note that if a teacher chooses to manage password for their own class they will be responsible for communicating with parents and families on any password resets or changes. You can learn more here.
- Teachers can now access Student Accounts at https://link.hillcrestdrive.org/studentsso
- Student SSO Account Email and Password is given at the during the pickup of a Learning Device.
- Student emails can be found on the MyData Portal
Family Device Requests (iPad and/or Internet Hotspot)
To aid students that may require a learning device and or an internet connection an iPad and/or Internet Hotspot can be provided. To request one parents and families must make their request at device.lausd.net. Families with a broken device that needs replacement can also place a request but please note that device quantities are limited.
- Visit device.lausd.net
- Choose "LAUSD Parent/Guardian".
- Enter the access code "lausd2020".
- Parents and families must complete their application as accurately as possible.
- To ensure their request for a device comes through "Hillcrest Dr EL (1452801)" must be selected as the school even if they are enrolled in the Music Magnet or Dual-Language school. Families that made their request and entered another school will need to re-submit their request using the steps above to ensure that the application comes through.
- If the student needs a new or replacement device please encourage them to answer "No" to the question "Does the student have a district-issued computing device at home?".
- If the student requires an Internet hotspot please encourage them to answer "No" to the question "Does the student have Internet access at home?".
- We will be distributing devices until every student has a device and we would be more than happy to set up appointments for parents or guardians with schedules that do not align with distribution time and dates.
Troubleshooting with Families
Parents and Families can reach us through multiple channels of communication for support
Communication via Microsoft Teams
Teachers are encouraged to join the Hillcrest Dr EL Teams group at link.hillcrestdrive.org/team. Sign up is not required and works with your LAUSD SSO.
There are many benefits to Teams
- Allows you to get instant responses, much faster than communication through email
- IT Support will be available to you instantly during school hours
- Allows you to stay updated with all of the latest and up to date communications
- Allows for group filesharing similar to Google Drive
- Built-in Remote Support feature to troubleshoot remotely
For further development and updates please check this page and hillcrestdrive.org frequently.